Translate Blog

Followers

Friday, November 6, 2009

Is It OK to Leave Negative Feedback During an Exit Interview? Read My Answer to Leny E on Y! Answers. What do you think?


Here's Leny's Question:

“[I]s it ok to tell the "ugly truth" [about] how you[r] manager treated you during employment on the exit interview? I felt that [I] didn't [get] treated fairly during my employment. [So, during the exit interview, I gave a written description of everything that happened to me; HR made a copy of my statement and has asked my manager for an explanation, regarding what I described. I think that, perhaps it was not wise to write negative things, but I'm just being honest]. Just wanna know about your opinion guys! Thanks”
ajabatwork's Answer:

I understand the desire to explain yourself, and the situation that you faced, particularly if it was an unfair one. However, employers frequently use any negative information that you supply to them, against you. At this point, you're probably thinking, "What can they do to me if I don't even work there any more?" The answer is, "Perhaps nothing." However, if you ever have to list that company on your resume, and then, your new potential employers call the old firm on the phone, in order to verify employment... the Human Resources representative may indicate dissatisfaction with you by taking a very cold, or lukewarm tone, when confirming your dates of employment etc.

On the other hand, if you complain about your boss during your exit interview, your employer may start monitoring his/her performance more closely. If that boss was really bad, you might even get your job back (unlikely), or more likely... you might save some other employee the frustration of having to experience what you did.

Either way, what's done is done. Good luck!!!

ajabatwork

2 comments:

Sandra Wilkes said...

I'd say "Don't burn your bridges." It's so tempting to vent but I don't think serves any purpose. The last thing you need is a negative reference from a former employer. I just wish everyone who wants a job could find one! My son's been looking 6 months! Help!

AJAB said...

Sound advice. It's so hard when you feel like you've been mistreated, or unappreciated.
---
What kind of work is he looking for, & in what city, or does it matter?

A Jab At Work Poetry (Poetry about Work)

“Work” by AJA-B, 08/30/09

The life I live is full of Joy,
But fool of sadness have I been,
If rumblings uttered prove us coy,
Then, truth be told both where, and when,
Was once a pair that teetered then,
O’er brinks or hills,
That they could scarce,
Find liquid, bars of salt, but bills,
And toil, though notice paid none dare’st,
To sweat, and pack, and tape, and wrap,
To call, and quest, rebuffed for cost,
To drive five states, and back, for gas
Traverse, from here to there to drink,
While aching back, and sweat-soaked shirt,
Proved naught the laborers’ worth, but stink,
And why should hecklers, wreckers blurt,
And hurl insults until they hurt,
While hypocrites sit conditioned in,
Till out a pair sent all they’d earned,
To others seeking extra, win,
‘gainst those that taught themselves, and learned,
Volumes, nearly choked and burned,
As plumes of hate, and stacks of smoke,
Sparked flames, which brinksmanship, did stoke,
Hellacious fires that GOD awoke,
& Smote the devils’ flames whose’ fire,
Could not the heights of clouds aspire,
& Up the pair in now a shell,
found seeds to plant that vines did swell,
Fat, filling, fruit and tasty cheer,
Revealing teeth, “from ear to ear,”
Now brimming, happily forgiving, hope,
Refilling cranial stores to find,
Surviving, counts for little more than sustaining life, and wasting time.

Digressing now though more is there,
I advise you work, but ne’er care,
Hard work, and success are not the same,
But without the first you’ll reap the blame,
For being weak, and seeming lame,
To end I wish you all the best,
Catharsis exhausts, I needs must rest,
Good luck, “You’re hired” I hope you’ll find,
To ease your cares, and soothe your mind.

© 2009 AJA-B

A Jab at Work Survey

Add This

Bookmark and Share